by Porter Erisman
- Difficulty Level : Adult
- Length : 256pages ( roughly 4 days )
- Type: Business, Technology, Entrepreneur
- My Rating: ***
This is a story of how Alibaba, from a small company survive and overcame their problems, its like a David versus Goliath story. Mr Porter was the International PR person when Alibaba started, he gives his perspective of his observations over at Alibaba.
From their relationship with Ebay, Yahoo and Google, the ups and downs, the author did a good job writing an entertaining journey when he working there. I have not read the other book on Alibaba: The House Jack Ma Built, I always think it is always good to look at as many perspectives as possible.
The quote i like from him is
” I’d joined Alibaba thinking I might learn something about business. But the most valuable things I’d learned from Jack were about life.”
At the end of the book he did gave 40 takeaways on what he learnt at Alibaba e.g.
- In the Spring Prepare for Winter
- Entrepreneurs Don’t Complain About Problems—They Solve Them
- Don’t Dwell on Mistakes
- Embrace—Don’t Run Away from—Tough Decisions
- Have the Team Work for the Goal, Not for the Boss
- Don’t Let It Get Personal